Sunday, December 26, 2010

to knit





So, I learned how to knit. I know- not too manly. But only in America. Most other European countries, men are knitters, too. Granted, just try and find a magazine dedicated to men who knit (crickets chirp in the background). Well, for me, it started when Julie's mom had a kidney transplant in 2009, and Julie was so bored while at the hospital with her mom, so she asked if I had any ideas for what to do.

I said, "Ask her how to knit."

A few days later, Julie came home and showed me the 'knit stitch.' A week later, she showed me the 'purl stitch.' I was 'hooked.' I read all about it online- found the world's fastest knitter video, how to cast on, bind off, knit in the round, and with dpn's. I joined ravelry, and lion brand, and downloaded some patterns. I have knitted half a dozen hats, 2 pairs of socks, 3 scarfs, a pair of gloves (hobo gloves- the fingers are open at the end), a hoodie for Diesel, and I'm in the middle of a hoodie for Levi.

But it really started in New Zealand. All those people knit- men and women. I have some beautiful sweaters, (and some ugly ones, says Julie!), and a lady there tried to teach me to knit. I never had time to knit, I thought, and that was that.

Now I knit in my car while waiting in line at the bank, the doctor's office, the school, late at night. On a side note, it is really cold in my shed right now, and so woodworking has taken the season off.

October 2010

1 comment:

  1. This the the coolest post ever! I've always wanted to learn how to knit. I absolutely love the scarf with the name. Wow! You are so talented! :) So great that Julie learned from her mom and taught you and now you can teach your sons!

    ReplyDelete